Frequently Asked Questions

Am I eligible to live in BYU contracted housing?

To be eligible to live in BYU Contracted Housing a student must be enrolled and attending classes at one of 13 different institutions:

In order for an LDS Institute program to be an acceptable alternative, a student must be enrolled and seeking institute credit. If you are a landlord and would like to verify a potential tenant is currently attending LDS Institute, please ask the student to provide you with a copy of his/her enrollment confirmation email. Alternatively, you can visit and contact LDS Institute directly.

How do I update my residential address?

For instructions on updating your residential address, please click here.

Do I have to live in BYU contracted housing?

All single undergraduate students are required to live in contracted housing. There are waivers available to students if their situation is such that requires an exception to university policy. Individuals desiring a waiver will need to prove that they have a special circumstances or hardships that necessitate living outside of Contracted housing. Otherwise, the expectation is to live in Contracted housing.

The Contracted Housing system allows our office to work with issues in the housing environment more effectively in order to create an environment for its single students living off campus that is conducive to their moral and spiritual growth as well as their academic performance. The owners of contracted rental units agree to: (1) adequately separate single men and women, (2) exercise reasonable efforts to maintain BYU Residential Living Standards, (3) maintain the facilities in good repair, and (4) not abuse basic tenant rights.

To become contracted, owners must go through a process including paperwork, an inspection and agreeing to the expectations placed on all contracted facilities. Contracted landlords agree to use the Center of Conflict Resolution available only to those affiliated with BYU when working through concerns. By living in a non-contracted facility, you would have fewer options in working through concerns with your landlord if situations arose since there is no relationship between your landlord and BYU. It is understood that violations of the Residential Living Standards can occur anywhere. The Contracted Housing system provides more resources for working through those concerns.

Is there any way I can live in BYU non-contracted housing?

See section 9 of the BYU Off-Campus Housing Handbook.

Who qualifies for housing waivers?

There are circumstances that may make it difficult to live in contracted housing. Waivers are available to students who have special circumstances or hardships that require living outside of contracted housing. This includes waivers specifically for Living with Family. General waivers are reviewed individually on a case by case consideration, again, looking for special circumstances or hardships. Waivers require the signature of roommates agreeing to strictly follow the Residential Living Standards.

What happens if I choose not to live in contracted housing?

Fees can be placed on a student’s account if they are not in compliance with contracted housing requirements. This could be due to failure to verify address, not living in contracted housing, or not having a current waiver that has been accepted by the waiver/appeal committee.

Students who do not provide their residential address or who live in housing not contracted by the university and who are not excused by the BYU Off-Campus Housing Office are subject to the following sanctions:

  1. Non-compliance fees up to $175.00 will be incurred, and future registration may be stopped, until the student verifies that he or she is living in or will be living in university-contracted housing.
  2. Students falsifying their addresses will be subject to the above consequences as well as disciplinary action by the university for Honor Code violations.

When a student signs an agreement to live in a facility not contracted by the university and has not been excused from the university housing requirement, these sanctions will be applied even though the student's tenancy extends beyond the current semester or term in which the student is enrolled. A student in this situation will have to either move from the uncontracted housing unit, regardless of the consequences, or forego registration and other privileges at the university until complying with this policy.

Who is exempt from living in BYU contracted housing?

Post Baccalaureate, graduate, and married students are not required to live in contracted housing. Being divorced does not specifically exempt someone from living in BYU Contracted Housing. A landlord may choose not to rent to someone who is divorced but it would be their choice and not anything we mandate in any way.

Can I get out of my contract for... (ex. marriage, mission, graduation, etc.)?

Probably not for marriage or missions. However, the Student-Landlord Rental Agreement does allow a student to terminate their agreement for graduation and for internships required for graduation. These special provisions are possible with a 120 day written notice given to the landlord. Also, some landlords do have special provisions in their contracts or addenda for early termination.

Is it possible to find housing with less than a year contract?

It is possible, but not likely unless the rental market is experiencing a large number of vacancies.

How do I sell my contract?

Selling your contract is best accomplished by listing it with a listing service (i.e. Craigslist, etc.) You can also list your contract with us here: Submit a Listing

Make sure your landlord knows that you are selling. He/she can help you fill out the required forms. If you still need help, give us a call.

I'm having a hard time getting my deposit back. What can I do?

There are a couple things that you can do, but first read the following:

Then give your landlord the following document:

If you still have problems, contact the Center for Conflict Resolution (801.422.5068) and/or give us a call (801.422.1513).

How is an apartment's maximum total occupancy determined? We've got plenty of room. Can we add one more?

Occupancy limits do not take the amount of space available nor the number of rooms within the facility into account. Rather, an apartment's maximum total occupancy is determined by Provo City and the zoning restrictions placed upon the property. These restrictions take into account location, construction year, available parking, city planning, etc. BYU/Facilities must adhere to zoning requirements and will therefore not approve a tenant that will make a facility exceed its limits.

Still plan on squeezing one more in? Here's an example of what can happen if zoning restrictions are ignored. The student's waiver was denied because the unit would have been over occupied. A few days later we received the following fee appeal:

"This off campus housing waiver was the biggest hassle. After submitting my waiver and getting it denied, Utah Zoning Occupancy came to the house and told us 3 out of 6 people had to be moved in 2 weeks. Rent and Utilities for the remaining 3 people doubled, so we all looked for a new place. I had to find new places for Summer term and sign new contracts for Fall and Winter within 2 weeks! After moving, we had to do the most meticulous cleaning checks, clear out all furniture and miscellaneous items, and scrub every part of the house to avoid further fees. That wasn't something I was planning to dedicate so much time to... I did move, and still got the fee I was trying to avoid by moving. I may have changed my address online too late for this fee, I don't know for sure when I did that. However, moving takes a lot more effort, so I feel that I shouldn't need to pay another fee."

What do I need to know about service/assistance animals?

While we realize that accommodating service/assistance animals is not ideal for most landlords, the rights of the tenants must also be considered. To that end, we suggest the following documents to better educate yourself on your options: