BYU announces significant changes to its student housing program effective fall 2022
Letter to Students
In an effort to better serve BYU’s students, the following changes will be made to the BYU student housing program effective fall semester 2022:
1. For their first two semesters as a BYU student, all single undergraduate students must live (1) in BYU On-Campus Housing, (2) in BYU Off-Campus Contracted Housing, or (3) with qualifying family members. This applies to all single undergraduate students, including transfer students, who are matriculated, meaning they have been admitted to a BYU degree-seeking program. Any exception must be approved in writing by the BYU Off-Campus Housing Office. Completion of both spring and summer academic terms qualifies as one semester.
2. Single, matriculated, undergraduate students who have completed two semesters at BYU are eligible but not required to live in BYU On-Campus or BYU Off-Campus Contracted Housing. They may choose to live anywhere. Availability of BYU Off-Campus Contracted Housing for these students may be limited. Provisions in the BYU Student-Landlord Rental Agreement that allow students to break their lease for marriage, missions, and other reasons will apply only to BYU On-Campus and BYU Off-Campus Contracted Housing. BYU single students choosing to live in non-contracted off-campus housing will still be required to maintain sex separation in their apartment and abide by the CES Honor Code and BYU student housing policies.
3. In addition to single, matriculated BYU students, only the following students are eligible to live in available BYU Off-Campus Contracted Housing:
- BYU evening students.
- BYU Flex GE students.
- BYU English Language Center students.
- BYU Salt Lake Center students.
- BYU–Hawaii students.
- BYU–Idaho students.
- Ensign College students.
For additional information please visit the Off-Campus Housing Frequently Asked Questions page at och.byu.edu.